The Bracket Yard Weekend, March 27-28, 2021: Shaka Smart, NFL Trades, NCAA Hockey
Have you heard the expression “Get out while you still can?” One college basketball coach has in our Weekend Daily.
Top Sports Stories
|[CBB] Shaka Smart Bails on Texas, Heads to Marquette|
A “smart” coach can see the writing on the wall. Shaka Smart, formerly the head basketball coach of the Texas Longhorns, did. One of two things happened down in Austin after the Horns got bounced from the NCAA Tournament: He either sensed he would soon walk the plank and found another job, or Texas told him “find another gig before we have to fire you.”
Either way, Smart is out after six seasons at Texas and will become the head coach at Marquette, in his home state of Wisconsin. His legacy at Texas will be at best mixed. He came in as a hot commodity from VCU in 2015 and got the Longhorns to the NCAA Tournament three times. His teams never advanced beyond the first round. Smart also saw one of his clubs win the NIT (2019) and lose 22 games (2017). His final record at Texas was 109-86.
|[NFL] Big NFL Draft Moves Point to Big Changes|
The NFL saw two bombshell draft trades on Friday. One was Miami trading the 3rd overall pick to San Francisco, and then the Dolphins flipped that 12th pick to the Eagles for the 6th pick. Miami were very busy. In the end, you have a San Francisco team shooting up the board right behind the Jaguars and Jets. We know for certain that Jacksonville will take Trevor Lawrence. San Francisco has their eye on some big prize, and some theorize that this is bad news for one James Garoppolo, starting quarterback for the aforementioned 49ers, as it is ostensibly a quarterback.
|[CHK] Two Teams Forced Out of Hockey Tournament|
There are just 16 participants in an NCAA Hockey Tournament any given year. Two of them were knocked out of the first round of the tournament due to COVID-19 protocols. First, we learned that Notre Dame would not be able to play Boston College. Then, the Michigan Wolverines forfeited their game against Minnesota-Duluth.
You just have to hope this year that it doesn’t happen to your team, regardless of what tournament you’re playing.
Games of the Day
[CBB] NCAA Basketball Tournament resumes with Sweet 16 action. They’re all going to be fun games, just because they are being played. The Elite Eight games happen early next week.
5 Good Sports Links
- [CFB] “Grandmother harassed by then-LSU player Derrius Guice claims Ed Orgeron lied to investigators,” USA Today (Kenny Jacoby)
- [GOLF] “Sergio Garcia’s amazing ace advances him to Round of 16 at WGC-Dell Match Play,” PGA Tour via YouTube
- [NBA] “NBA Trade Deadline Winners and Losers,” SI.com (Rohan Nadkarni)
- [MLB] “Union president says MLB players ready to discuss moving All-Star Game from Georgia in wake of voter restriction laws,” The Boston Globe (Michael Silverman) – BONUS link on this legislation from our sister site Electionarium
- [NHL] “NHL Stanley Cup playoff chances and projected standings,” The Athletic (Dom Luszczyszyn)