The Bracket Yard Daily, March 8, 2021: Bracketology, NBA, Garoppolo
Getting into position.
We are now inside one week until Selection Sunday, so bracketology is coming at you hard and fast in Monday’s Daily.
Top Sports Stories
|[CBB] March 8 Bracketology Update|
On Sunday, we did our big update of the bracket and the field of 68. Here is how we think is has changed after Sunday’s games:
- Michigan State is looking good now after being Michigan. They have three gigantic wins in just the last few weeks, which is more than some contending teams have all year. Sparty is in.
- Memphis was in position perhaps to surge up to the cut line with a win over Houston, but they got beaten on a buzzer beater. That shot may have unfortunately dashed their chance at making the NCAA Tournament.
- Maryland cost themselves with their loss in which they blew a large lead. They are getting into dangerous territory with regard to First Four placement.
- Drake is in some real trouble, which sucks for them because they are 25-4, but they’re borderline.
|[NBA] All-Star Game in the Books|
In the most meaningless, high-scoring game of the season, Team LeBron defeated Team Durant, 170 to 150. As is often the case in these All-Star Games, neither fake team played a lick of defense. LeBron’s team shot almost 64 percent from the field with Giannis Antetokounmpo scoring 35 total, making all 16 baskets he shot. It was a quiet night for LeBron James, with just four points in 13 minutes on the court. Bradley Beal had 26 for Kevin Durant’s crew.
|[NFL] Do the Pats Want Jimmy G Back?|
The short answer to this, without even reading the cited article, is yes. If you need Bleacher Report to confirm those suspicions, there’s an article for that. New England drafted Jimmy G a few years ago, then traded him when they kept Tom Brady and they were winning Super Bowls. Now, the Patriots stink, Cam Newton is not filling the admittedly massive shoes left behind, and they watched as Garoppolo went to the Super Bowl with San Francisco in 2019. Injuries have plagued him, but in hindsight, the Pats would probably take this trade back if they could. It makes sense that they would want him back, but he’s the 49ers’ now, and they have to want it, too.
Games of the Day
[CBB] Sun Belt Championship Game
[CBB] Southern Conference Championship Game
5 Good Sports Links
- [NFL] “Free Agent Fizzle: A bad year for free agents looking for a payday,” Hogs Haven (Bill Horgan)
- [MLB] “Three MLB players away from teams after breaking COVID protocols,” CBS Sports (Matt Snyder)
- [NHL] “NHL keeps looking the other way on dangerous play,” New York Post (Larry Brooks)
- [CFB] “Kansas insists it vetted ex-LSU coach Les Miles properly with no red flags on hiring background checks,” CBS Sports (Dennis Dodd)
- [GOLF] “U.S. Ryder Cup captain Steve Stricker hopes Tiger Woods can be part of team,” ESPN (Bob Harig)